Abortion Recovery Services
In the United States today, one out of every three women will experience abortion by the age of 45 years.*
If abortion is such a common experience, why do post-abortive individuals rarely speak about their abortions?
If you are one of the millions of women who have made the choice to have an abortion, you know that the memories associated with this experience can be difficult and even painful. Months and years may go by without any remembrance of the abortion experience.
Then, one day, you find yourself wondering what your life would have been like had your child lived. Triggers like seeing children that are the same age your child might have been, or the anniversary date of the abortion/birth date of the child, may leave you feeling anxious, scared, and fearful.
For most women, the abortion is a closely held secret. Rarely do women talk about this pain with family or friends. Many feel fearful that they will be judged if others discover they made an abortion choice.
How do you know you need post-abortion healing?
Perhaps you are thinking, “Okay, so I had an abortion. But that is in the past. Do I really need to be healed?”
Some women seemingly never need to work through any kind of healing process. But for many others, the memory of abortion lies like a hidden infection within, weakening and impairing them in ways they may have never realized were related.
Is you have experienced abortion, see if you recognize yourself in some of the following questions:
- Do you feel reluctant to talk about the subject of abortion, or do you feel guilt, anger, or sorrow when discussing your own abortion?
- Do you tend to think of your life in terms of “before” and “after” the abortion?
- Do you have lingering feelings of resentment or anger toward people involved in your abortion, such as the baby’s father, friends, or your parents?
- Have you found yourself either avoiding relationships or becoming overly dependent in them since the abortion? Are you overly protective of any children you have now?
- Have you begun or increased use of drugs or alcohol since the abortion, or do you have an eating disorder?
- Have you felt a vague sort of emptiness, a deep sense of loss, or had prolonged periods of depression?
- Do you sometimes have nightmares, flashbacks, or hallucinations relating to the abortion?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you could be experiencing pain related to your abortion, many times referred to as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as it relates to abortion.
Our center offers a confidential abortion recovery program for those who are struggling with the emotions surrounding a past abortion decision. Many on our advocates and staff have experienced abortion. Through a spiritual healing program, they were able to find peace in relation to their pregnancy loss through abortion.
From one-on-one classes to group involvement, we are here to help if you are struggling with a past abortion decision.
Contact us today. You will be received with warmth and compassion and all conversations will be kept confidential.
* Source: “Facts in Brief: Induced Abortion,” The Alan Guttmacher Institute, Washington, DC, , January, 2008.
Monday 9AM - 5PM
Tuesday 9AM - 5PM
Wednesday 9AM - 5PM
Thursday 9AM - 5PM
Friday 9AM - 5PM